Romans 5:6

When we were utterly helpless, Christ came at just the right time and died for us sinners.

Wednesday, June 13, 2012

Working with Purpose

Much has transpired since my last blog back in January.  I’ve completed half of my classes for seminary; Joseph and I bought a house in the Pearl/Brandon area in order to be closer to the Church plant we are a part of (The Exchange); and we got married a week and a half ago!! The Lord has been incredibly gracious and faithful to us.
The Lord has taught me so much about myself through just my week and a half of marriage.  Joseph has challenged me to broaden my perspective on many issues that I formerly looked at more narrowly than I thought.  When we got back home from the honeymoon we settled in to study scripture.  1 Kings was orchestrated to be in the reading for this week in the One Year Bible we are now going through. King Solomon was the focus…
So King Solomon became richer and wiser than any other king on earth. People from every nation came to consult him and to hear the wisdom God had given him. ~1 Kings 10: 23-24
As Joseph and I discussed what we had studied he encouraged me by saying (paraphrase):  “It doesn’t matter if anyone notices your work because God always does.”  As we talked about Solomon I really focused on the fact that people sought him out for his gifts.  They wanted to reap the benefit of his wisdom by their willingness to learn from him. What are people seeking me out for?  Joseph has encouraged me a great deal on days that I don’t feel appreciated in any area by reminding me that first of all, my work is ultimately for the Lord and secondly, He has a plan far bigger than I can imagine.
Solomon was able to exercise the gifts that the Lord had granted him. People knew what he was good at.  His wisdom made his name famous.  People may never have a chance to know what I’m good at, what my gifts are or what I enjoy in any given job that I have.  BUT I’m still called to the standard of Colossians 3:23—“Whatever you do work at it with all your heart, as you are working for the Lord, not men.”
Joseph and I also read this: Fire tests purity of silver and gold, but the Lord tests the heart. ~Proverbs 17:3.  It matters that my heart is in the right place with my Maker and that my motives in all things (especially my work) are pure and pleasing to Him. It doesn’t matter that I ever receive recognition for a job well-done or a pat on the back to show appreciation.  My concern should be to only focus on the Lord’s requirements of me.  As one who belongs to the King of Kings, I know where I belong and trust that His purposes are being orchestrated and played out in all areas of my life.  No opportunity is wasted if my perspective remains in focus.  My work and my attitude matter because I am called to work unto Him.  If I fail at striving to glorify Him in one area of my life I fail in all others as well.  He certainly deserves my devotion in every area of life!

I’m not working just for a pay check or to make my name great.  The Lord has given me a unique opportunity to serve Him in a cubicle for this season.  He is teaching me more every day about what surrender looks like.  My goals and my ambitions are great, but if they aren’t in God’s plan for me I must learn to “bloom where I’m planted” as one friend of mine always says. 
So I encourage you who are reading, check your motives and your attitude.  If Christ isn’t at the center of each your perspective needs adjusting like mine did.  Every opportunity given is a chance to glorify the Lord more than before in how I handle day to day tasks.  Be encouraged knowing that what you do really does matter when He is the center and you are rooted deep in His love.
I’m grateful for the way the Lord keeps teaching me “old lessons” that He knows I need to go over again… and I’m grateful for a husband who challenges me to think Heaven-minded rather than allowing me to become content being disgruntled.

Your work is valuable. Your attitude is determines your perspective.

No comments:

Post a Comment