Romans 5:6

When we were utterly helpless, Christ came at just the right time and died for us sinners.

Friday, January 31, 2014

Choosing to Remember His Faithfulness


For the Lord is good and His love endures forever; His faithfulness continues through all generations. ~Psalm 100:5

     As Joseph and I rang in the new year, I reflected on all that the Lord had provided for us in 2013.  There were so many things that it'd be easy to forget about in our busyness.  He provided us with 2 different vehicles, money to have a french drain installed, a new roof and repairs after the March '13 hail storm (homeownership joys) and even funds to take several trips, including our trip to Florida to see family I hadn't seen in 4 1/2 years.  Not to mention that He saw me through finishing Seminary and leaving a very difficult work situation at my alma mater last summer.
     When the Lord explains that we will have trouble in this world, He also promises that He will give us peace (John16:33).  Because He has already overcome the world, our menial hardships should not come as an offense.  He told us this would happen.  Why, then, are we so astounded when all of this stuff happens?  
     With a couple of difficult circumstances occurring presently in the lives of some of our family members and unexpected expenses last week with our hot water heater and vehicle repair, it would be so easy (and so worldly) to hear difficult news and immediately react in angered manner.   Before I even had a chance to enter my budget freak out mode or get overly defensive on my family's behalf the Lord so sweetly reminded me that He knows what I need.
     Our sweet Savior does not work on our behalf or watch us from a distance, as Bette Midler suggests.  He is near to us and sees all that is going on.  After all, He knew about the things we would walk through before we did.  In choosing to remember His faithfulness I found myself so humbled as I wept in my car before Him.  He is bigger than anything we face! 
     Rather than become upset by circumstances, wrongdoings of others, and unexpected expenses,  He asks me to continue to trust Him as I walk in obedience.  His faithfulness is unwavering because He never changes (Hebrews 13:8).
     He is the one Who has provided for my family for every single thing.  He has always taken care of us.  I had to choose to remember this over the past few weeks as I have received phone calls from family members who have been let down by Christians choosing not to act Christ-like.  He is the same God Who parted the Red Sea.  He is more than able to provide for our needs.
    He is the one Who gave me a "transition job" last summer in order for me to leave my job at my alma mater.  I then became content with having a job that my degrees didn't help qualify me for, because I saw His faithfulness at work.  However, so unexpectedly the Lord gave me a position in church ministry.  The Lord has taught me much regarding being faithful in the small things in order to be trusted with more (Luke 16:10).  He has given you influence where you are for a reason.  Your purpose is to live in a manner that promotes His Kingdom coming to where He has placed you.
    Rather than become distraught by our worldly circumstances, what do you think it would look like if Christ followers actually took on the attitude presented in 1 Thessalonians 5:16-18?  If we were truly joyful in all circumstances, prayed about everything and thankful in all things don't you think that the world around us would notice a difference?
   Be encouraged knowing that the Lord is using whatever difficulty you may be walking through to make you more like Himself, to encourage more faithfulness to Him, and to remind you that He is for you (Rom. 8:28)!  
   Choose to remember how faithful He has been to you.  Be faithful to Him where you are.  Despite the difficulty of your situation, having  to figure out how to pay for unexpected expenses, or being surrounded by people who claim Christ and don't seek to live according to His Word, He has called you to be faithful and to recall His goodness upon your life.
   He takes care of details such as french drains, new vehicles, and paying all of the bills, but remember that He does so because He cares for His kids more than we could ever imagine. 1 Peter 5:7 -- "Cast all of your cares upon Him because He cares for you."

Choose to remember His faithfulness to you from the past and believe in His promise to remain faithful to you now.
    

No comments:

Post a Comment